The comprehensive list of camps is published every February/March on www.workcamps.info. The list is continuously updated. Please read carefully through all practical information before you fill out the electronic application form on the website.
· The camps last between 2-3 weeks. Workload and type of work vary from camp to camp.
· Approximately 800 camps are organized on annually, most years on all continents.
· You need to pay for and arrange your own transport to and from the camp.
· The fee is 1500NOK. This includes one year membership in the Norwegian branch of the SCI, Internasjonal Dugnad.
· The fee covers insurance during the project (accident, illness, injury), but Internasjonal Dugnad recommend that you also arrange a travel insurance in order that you and your luggage be insured during travel to and from the camp.
· The registration fee covers food and accommodation during the camp, but you need to bring pocket money.
· Usually a camp has between 10 and 20 participants.
· The language spoken at the camp will be English, unless otherwise specified in the camp advert which describes the camp on the database www.workcamps.info website.
There is the option of being a long-term-volunteer. Please contact us at Denne e-postadressen er beskyttet mot programmer som samler e-postadresser. Du må aktivere javaskript for å kunne se den. and we will give you more information.
Who can participate?
· You can participate in a camp in Norway if you are 16 years or older.
· If you are 18 years of age or older, you can participate in camps in Europe, Australia, USA and parts of Asia.
· If you are 20 years or older you can participate in camps in Africa, Latin-America and parts of Asia.
· There are seldom upper age limits, but if in doubt, contact us at Denne e-postadressen er beskyttet mot programmer som samler e-postadresser. Du må aktivere javaskript for å kunne se den.
· There are no professional or skills requirements. Some camps have specific language requirements in addition to English, but this will be clearly stated in the information about the camp on the database www.workcamps.info website.
· Participants with disabilities and parents with children are also welcome to participate in camps where this is possible. Contact us at Denne e-postadressen er beskyttet mot programmer som samler e-postadresser. Du må aktivere javaskript for å kunne se den. for further information.
Before you go – remember;
· To check that you have a valid passport throughout the stay, and a visa if and when required.
· The registration fee covers insurance during the project (accident, illness, injury), but Internasjonal Dugnad recommend that you also arrange a travel insurance in order that you and your luggage be insured on travel to and from the camp.
· Check which vaccines you need, especially if you travel to Africa, Asia or Latin-America.
· Camp – info is sent to you approximately 4 weeks before the camp starts. It contains detailed information about the camp, address, route-description, meeting time, detailed work-description, requirements for what you need to bring, etc.
At the camp
· The standard of accommodation varies a lot, and is often very simple. It ranges from tents to halls with mattresses on the floor. The norm is that the volunteers themselves are responsible for cooking and other practical tasks.
· Be prepared to give some information about Norway. Some bring photographs, recipes and typical Norwegian foods.
· If you play an instrument which travels well, i.e. guitar, please bring it along.
How to apply
· Go to the webpage www.workcamps.info and fill inn and submit the application form.
· Remember to list multiple camp choices, as many are popular and get filled quickly.
· When you submit the application, you also need to pay membership fee of 300NOK to Internasjonal Dugnad, Nordahl Bruns gate 2, 0165 Oslo, bank account No: 1254 62 30986
· When you have been awarded a space on a camp, you need to confirm to Denne e-postadressen er beskyttet mot programmer som samler e-postadresser. Du må aktivere javaskript for å kunne se den. that you accept it, and you need to pay 1200NOK in registration fee for the camp, which covers food and accommodation during the camp, as well as accident insurance during the camp. Please write "leirpåmelding 2018" on the payment.
· The application is binding.
If you are prevented from travel
· If you are prevented from travel you need to notify both Internasjonal Dugnad and the recipient organisation.
· If we receive a cancellation 3 weeks before the camp starts, we pay you back half of the registration fee. If you fall ill, you receive the same amount if you produce a doctor's note, no matter how late you notify us.
· Cancellations create huge inconveniences for the organisers of the camp. Therefore we urge you to consider carefully before you make a decision to apply to a camp, and pay special attention to timing and location.